SUSTAINABLE EQUITABLE ECONOMIC DEMOCRACY NM
SEED NM is a coalition of business owners and community organizers in New Mexico, working to advance policies that promote an equitable and sustainable economy benefiting all New Mexicans.
SEED NM is an affiliate of the American Sustainable Business Council, who works to advocate for legislation that supports sustainability, equity, and justice from a business perspective.
Below is an overview of how we define the problem and our direction towards solutions.
US and global capitalism are increasingly in conflict with worker well-being and ecological limits. Many small business owners share deep concerns about sustainability within our economic system, but there is a conspicuous lack of opportunities for these business folk to connect and communicate with each other on these issues. Existing trade associations, chambers of commerce, and other organizations related to business and economic development do not typically offer opportunities for dialogue about best practices or policies to support sustainability, or related issues like equity, economic democracy, human-centered prosperity, alternative ownership and financing structures, etc.
Without opportunities to share concerns and ideas, or to build the power of a collective voice, sustainability-minded small businesses are left out of economic development dialogue and policy development.
The problematic status quo then prevails:
- an “us vs. them” mentality between business owners, workers and government/policymakers
- an overemphasis on the interests of big business, big banks and corporate values
- lack of diversity among the voices speaking for “small business”
- lip service to ecological concerns such as so-called “green growth” strategies that are premised on faulty economic underpinnings.
We aim to bring together small businesses along with community organizations and interested individuals to challenge the paradigm described above. We believe there are many business owners who:
- see the the value of aligning their business interests with worker rights
- don’t buy into the narrative that massive scale is the best way to be in business
- recognize and value their connections to community and
- are energized by the prospect of running their businesses in a way that helps reshape our economy towards sustainability and community wellness.
By bringing a coalition together of sustainability-minded businesses, organizations and individuals, we envision a path forward where our voices and power become a force for real change.
Miguel Acosta: Earth Care NM
Paul Gibson: Retake Our Democracy
Eric Griego: Fast Forward Strategic Consulting
Sandra McCardell: Current-C Energy Systems Inc and Cooperative Catalyst of NM
Angela Merkert: Alliance for Local Economic Prosperity
Peri Pakroo: P-Brain Media
Ona Porter: Prosperity Works
Robin Seydel: Cooperative Catalyst of NM