Job Opening: Business & Community Outreach Manager
Status: Fixed-term employee to start, could transition to regular employment
Start date: Immediately upon signing employment contract
End date: November 15, 2022
Estimated hours per month: 40 to 60, may grow into a fuller-time position
Compensation: $45 to $75 per hour, DOE
Apply by: July 30, 2022
SEED NM is seeking to hire a community-focused Business & Community Outreach Manager to work on policy advocacy projects related to sustainable economic development and small business.
Role and Responsibilities
The possible scope of work would include the following tasks (somewhat flexible depending on the applicant’s strengths, and subject to change with increasing responsibility and complexity over time):
- Learning about the issues underlying specific campaigns.
- Leading strategy and messaging development for specific campaigns.
Communications and Outreach
- Planning and executing campaigns, using priorities defined by SEED NM Steering Circle.
- Leading social media messaging efforts, with support from communications team (creative and editorial).
- Assisting with newsletter preparation, with support from communications team (creative and editorial).
- Setting up internal meetings and monthly open meetings (including proposing speakers).
- Coordinating and participating in both direct and indirect outreach efforts with small business organizations and others.
- Conducting one-on-one outreach and networking with SEED NM partners and allies.
- Maintaining a contact database and using a CRM, with support from technology admins.
Fundraising and Financial Management
- Assisting with funding strategy, grant applications and other fundraising efforts.
- Leading and managing budgets and financial planning activities.
- Tracking income and expenses using bookkeeping software.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate for the Business & Community Outreach Manager position has some or all of the following characteristics and background:
Policy Advocacy, Communications and Outreach
- 2 to 4 years of experience working with issues related to sustainability, economic development, entrepreneurship, small / local business advocacy, community organizing, or related fields.
- Belief in the power of small business to create a sustainable, equitable economic democracy.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written. Data visualization skills a plus.
- Ability to work collaboratively, both online and in person, with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures. The ability to speak additional languages would be a benefit.
- Enjoys leading and facilitating, both online and off.
Team Leadership, Collaboration and Administration
- Flexible and able to accommodate other team members’ busy schedules.
- Adaptive and resourceful. Reliable and detail-oriented.
- Organized and creative.
- Responsive to emails within a reasonable time frame.
- Experience working as part of a collaborative team.
- Digitally savvy and able to use a variety of platforms.
- Sense of humor and impeccable ethics.
- Using existing platforms and systems for project management, email marketing, document management, social media, financial management and others. Existing platforms and tools include HubSpot, Notion, Google Workspace, MailChimp, Slack and Zoom.
Work will be done remotely but New Mexico-based candidates are preferred.
SEED NM values connections to community, worker wellness and democratic management principles. We strive to be an anti-racist, gender-diverse, anti-ableist, neurodiverse workplace.
This is a fixed-term employment position that has the potential to turn into regular part- or full-time employment.
To apply, please use this application form to upload your cover letter and resume. For your cover letter, we are especially interested in your thoughts on how organizations can build engaged communities and communicate inclusively.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received, and interviews may be scheduled prior to July 30.