- This event has passed.
Support Housing Affordability by attending and testifying at the ABQ City Council Meeting
June 5, 2023 @ 5:00 pm
WE NEED YOU this Monday, June 5th to attend the ABQ City Council meeting!!!
The Council will be reviewing Ordinance O-22-54 which will change outdated zoning obstacles that affect housing supply. To help meet the goal of creating 5,000 new units of housing by 2025, the ordinance will:
- Allow for the conversion of motels, hotels and commercial office spaces to long-term housing units
- Allow for two-unit homes (or duplexes) permissively on R-1 lots
- Allow for development of “accessory dwelling units” (ADUs) or “casitas” as we know them locally, permissively on R-1 lots
- Parking requirement reduction for affordable housing multi-family properties
- Modestly increase some building height restrictions where appropriate
Proposed amendments and IDO Annual Update process details are HERE.
The proposed changes are modest and reasonable compared to many similar efforts in other cities and states. This is an opportunity for all of us to have a direct impact on issues that affect small businesses in ABQ. We CAN make a difference!! We need to pass this ordinance and NOW is when we can.
Please sign up to tell the Council how important this is to you, virtually or in person!
When: Monday, June 5, 2023, 5pm (we think O-22-54 will be the 1st item on the agenda)
Where: 1 Civic Plaza, Vincent E. Griegos Chamber OR Zoom (Zoom link will be in the agenda as soon as it’s available online)
Note* You MUST sign up to speak in advance! Link to sign up will be in the agenda.
When you sign up, you can either speak during general public comment (only the first 30 people will be allowed to speak here) or you can specify to speak during the ordinance (it may go a bit late but if you can stay, this would be so great!)
Whether you can speak or not, please consider sending an email to all councilors stating support for Housing Forward ABQ. https://www.cabq.gov/council/find-your-councilor/contact-all-councilors
Details and suggested talking points are HERE.